What's it all about?
Here's a taster of what you can expect from the Grizzly:
2018 Race Information Summary
Please read this summary Race Info which contains important information to help the event go smoothly and for you to enjoy it. A summary of the really important stuff is listed below for your convenience. The full race information will be made available a few weeks before the race so please ensure that you come back to read this once it becomes available.
- Only run it if you are physically and medically fit. There are shortcuts and cut-off points (which will be enforced by the marshals) so you are expected to run a certain amount
- Dress for the occasion - Grizzly weather varies from very warm to bitterly cold and wet. Wear shoes with good grip as it will be slippery
- Let us know if you've obtained someone else's number, ideally using the Change of Runner form before race weekend or if you want to change race
- Complete the reverse of your race number with contact info and any medical details
- Wear your race number on your front and have it visible at the finish (or you’ll cause problems for the timekeepers)
- Obey marshals and back markers at all times, especially if told to shortcut or even withdraw.
- Note that by entering and participating in the Grizzly, you agree to be photographed and/or videoed by official race cameramen. If you do not wish to be photographed or videoed, please contact the Race Director at least one week in advance of the event
- Park in supermarket car parks other than allocated spaces
- Use any private part of the Grizzly course at other times
- Wee in front of members of the public - available toilets at start and en route
- Drop litter, especially gel sachets - all marshals have carrier bags so give it to them (drink cups within the water station area is acceptable)
- Run with dogs or walking poles – anyone doing so will be disqualified from the race and may be banned from participating in future years
- You will not hold the promoters, organisers or other persons associated with the event responsible for any loss or injury incurred as a result of your participation in, or travel to or from, the event
- Fees - these have been kept the same as last year. Grizzly £30 for unaffiliated runners, £28 for affiliated. Cub £20 for unaffiliated, £18 for affiliated
- The Course – further details about the course will be provided in due course but as in previous years, the full Grizzly will be twentyish muddy, hilly, boggy, beachy miles of the multiest-terrain running experience you will find this side of the end of time; the Cub is around 9 miles of the same. The route for both races will take you from Seaton seafront, out to Beer, onto Branscombe and surrounding areas, and back again
- IMPORTANT - PARKING MAY AGAIN BE A PROBLEM THIS YEAR. Parking marshals will be on hand to direct you to available parking areas. We strongly recommend that you arrive early, as it may take time to get parked and get to the start. Please share a car if you can
- Start Time - Grizzly and Cub start together at 10.30 on Seaton Esplanade
- Race HQ will again be at Seaton Town Hall (also known as The Gateway) on Saturday/Sunday. The info desk is here for race number issues/changes etc (no changes after 10.00 on race day). Junior/Fun Run entries will be at the Hook & Parrot on the Esplanade on Saturday. There is also Grizzly merchandise and a retail shop at Race HQ
- Baggage storage will be at Race HQ
- Cub Split is at Branscombe Mouth beach - you can switch from Grizzly to Cub here if you don't think you can complete the full run (ensure race number is marked by the marshal)
- Dropping Out – hopefully you won’t get ill or injured, but if you do need to drop out, contact the nearest marshal. If you are able, make your way to the nearest pick-up point or water station (as directed by the marshals) where return arrangements can be organised.
- Trophies – Will be awarded to the first 3 male and female finishers in both the Grizzly and the Cub, as they finish or soon after (ie there is no formal awards ceremony). There are no medals for completing either run
- Photos – Official photography will again be provided by http://www.photo-fit.net
- Technical race t-shirts – runners who complete either race will receive a technical race t-shirt. The size of t-shirt will be selected when you complete and submit your ballot entry form, and cannot be subsequently changed (even if a new runner takes over a race number from another runner). There are separate sizes available for male and female runners.
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
M. Kathleen Casey