The Grizzly 2015
Dash to Delirium
Grizfest races from 14:15 on Saturday 28th February
Grizzly at 10:30 on Sunday 1st March
Held under ARC rules (permit TBA)
Please do not train on any private land used by
the Grizzly unless you have permission to do so.
Details of 2015's race including entry procedure
Grizfest entries will open after the ballot has been drawn.
Read this whole section if you want to enter
since it contains important information.
There are a few changes for 2015 which are essential to ensure the continued running of the Grizzly. The race date and entry dates have had to be chosen to fit with other commitments of key support crew, so please don't contact us to complain!
Grizzly/Cub race day will be Sunday 1 March.
An entry ballot is once again being used but with payment required on registration and refunded if you're not successful. (This is because a couple of hundred people caused us a lot of hassle last time by not taking up their offered places.) Registration for the ballot is open until early evening on Sunday 12 October, the draw will be made in the following week, all runners notified of their outcome by Monday 20 October and unsuccessful entries should be refunded by the end of the month.
The course will be almost identical to 2014's - tough, hilly, some cliff paths with drops to the side, both mud and water potentially up to waist deep but nearly a third tarmac.
This is a running race with enforced shortcuts and time cutoffs.
|Race ||When ||Dist ||Fee ||Age ||Trophies ||Mementoes
|Grizzly ||Sun ||20m ||£28/30 ||18+ ||1/2/3 M/F ||Technical t-shirts
|Cub Run ||Sun ||9m ||£18/20 ||17+ ||None ||Technical t-shirts
|Junior Race ||Sat ||4K ||£5 ||11+ ||None ||Medals
|Fun Run ||Sat ||2K ||£5 ||Any ||None ||Medals
The Cub Run is intended for less able runners, not for speedies.
- Remember that this is for entry into the ballot. There is no guarantee that you will get a place and unsuccessful entrants will be refunded via the payment method used to enter.
- All runners entered in a single transaction (i.e. one checkout) will be drawn from the ballot together. If any size group doesn't want "all or none" (i.e. if one gets in then they all get in, but the group only has one chance of being drawn) then they need to enter separately (i.e. separate checkouts).
- Complete details are required - any incomplete submissions will be rejected from the ballot, together with anyone else entered in the same transaction.
- Cheques must have cleared before a runner is considered to have entered the ballot so allow plenty of time if you pay this way, particularly since our treasurer will only bank cheques once a week. Receipt of cheques will be acknowledged.
- Both copies of any duplicate entries will be rejected from the ballot, together with anyone else entered in the same transactions.
- Any under-age entries will be rejected, together with anyone else entered in the same transaction.
- If you discover a mistake then do not submit another entry but contact us instead.
- You can only enter either Grizzly or Cub - contact us if you make a mistake and want to switch.
- You will get confirmation from Full on Sport or us, depending upon how you entered the ballot. If you don't receive a mail (check your junk mail!) then you may have made a mistake with your address or your entry may have failed, so contact us. We suggest that you keep the mail until you are notified of the ballot outcome in case of any queries.
- Three methods of entry are available. Either of the fully-online options are easiest for us but some people have previously had trouble or asked for other methods.
- Fully online (payment by card) at Full On Sport.
You have two choices here:
- Full registration with FoS
- FoS's normal approach where you register on their site (and will already have done so if you entered online last year but make sure your details are correct).
- This race only
- without registering as a user of the FoS site but entering your details just for this race (simpler for one-off entry if you don't want to register or login to FoS).
- Submit this online form then send a cheque to the address on the form if you really don't want to pay online by card. Note the point above about cheques.
- Complete this spreadsheet then send a cheque to the address in the spreadsheet for large groups of ten or more. Note the points above about runners entered together, full details and cheques.
What it's all about
Twentyish muddy, hilly, boggy, beachy miles of the multiest-terrain running experience
you will find this side of the end of time. It's by no means the toughest race around (honestly!),
has changed over the years and nearly died on a few occasions, but hundreds of you keep coming back
for more so we must still be getting it right. Whatever it isn't, it is an experience.
I have run in a few races but have never been in a race that manages to create physical
challenge whilst taking a sideways glance at running, allowing all involved to emerge with a crooked grin
on their face! - A Grizzly runner
You must agree to abide by these rules in order to enter, or to accept a place from someone else:
- You understand that participating in this event is potentially hazardous and that you should not participate unless you are medically and physically fit to do so.
- If you have entered another person you have their permission to do so and their agreement to these rules.
- If you wish to subsequently transfer your place in the event to someone else you will obtain their agreement to these conditions before agreeing with them to do so and either you or the new holder will advise us of the new runner's full details. On race day this must be done at the info desk in Race HQ, preferably before 10am. You will not resell your place for more than you paid for it.
- If you report a number as missing and obtain a replacement you should destroy the former if you subsequently find it. You must not use a number once it is reported as missing.
- You agree to abide by the trail running rules of the Association of Running Clubs as published on their website runningclubs.org.uk.
- You agree to behave in a reasonable manner to the promoters, organisers, competitors and other persons associated with the event.
- You accept that this event is a running race and agree to accept any decision marshals or medical personnel may make to direct you on a shortcut or withdraw you from the race.
- You agree to not wilfully drop litter on pain of potential disqualification.
- You agree to carefully read the race information which will be made available a few weeks before the event.
- You will be the minimum age for the race you have entered on the day of the race.
- You will not hold the promoters, organisers or other persons associated with the event responsible for any loss or injury incurred as a result of your participation in, or travel to or from, the event.
- You will not embark on the course before the official race start.
- You will not set foot on any private land used by the Grizzly in various years other than during the race itself or with explicit permission, on pain of potential banning The Grizzly.
- You accept that no refunds or deferrals will be offered under any circumstances other than the cancellation or postponement of the event.
- Dogs and walking poles are banned from the race.
- You are advised not to wear earphones or headphones.
Our policy on places, transfers, refunds, etc.
We sometimes receive complaints that we should give Grizzly regulars priority when entries open. We have also received complaints that we should give newcomers priority. We clearly can't please both bodies of runners. Our policy is simple: no one gets priority.
If you are looking for a place in the Grizzly once entries close or have a place but can't use it then I'm afraid that we can't help much.
- Congestion on the course and limited parking in Seaton limit the numbers we can handle but we accept more entries on the basis that a few hundred won't turn up.
- We therefore don't have a waiting list, don't put runners with a place in touch with those looking
for one or vice versa, and don't suggest how you can go about finding or selling a place.
- However, we are happy for runners to arrange transfers between themselves as long as we're told of the change
for which purpose you can use the change of runner form for which there will be a link above by the end of October.
We prefer that to phoning them since it's less prone to potential error and far less intrusive on our personal lives.
- We do not offer refunds or deferrals under any circumstances other than the cancellation or postponement of the event, and then possibly only partial if we have incurred significant costs.
- There is no need to tell us if you won't be able to make it although doing so before the numbers are sent
will obviously save us some postage and reduce waste. You would still be able to transfer your number to
someone else since we keep a record of all entries.
- We could obviously accept fewer entries up-front and operate a waiting list but:
- Managing this would add significantly to our already high workload.
- Many people want to know in September if they've got in so they can book accommodation (which is limited).
- Please don't be tempted to run the race without having a place. It's not fair on those who accept the situation,
and anyone found doing could be disqualified and even banned from our events.
The Grizzly is featured in the anthology The Best of the Fells
and in Wild Running.
There's lots to read on our writing page (including the infamous songs and poems)
and on LMRB's website.
This is just a small selection of what's out there.
There are a few Grizzly vids on You Tube which you can search for but these are some of the best. The last link is a short piece from the local news.
Replay the race
You can follow some runners' progress on an aerial view at RunReplay.com:
If you ran with a GPS and still have the data you can upload it and follow your own progress as well.
Some of the hashes on the site make particularly fascinating viewing with all their false trails.
With charitable donations and t-shirt colours as far as we can recall. (Many people seem to identify each year's race by the shirt rather than the name!)
|Year ||Donations ||Shirt colour ||Name
|1988 ||? ||No shirt ||Unnamed
|1989 ||? ||No shirt ||Torment Ten
|1990 ||? ||Dark blue? ||Grizzly 12
|1991 ||? ||Green ||Hillocks and Rowlocks
|1992 ||? ||Sky blue ||Eye of the Storm
|1993 ||? ||White ||Sting of the Butterfly
|1994 ||? ||Light grey ||Magical Memory Jog
|1995 ||? ||Dark blue ||The Nightmare Returns
|1996 ||? ||Yellow ||Revenge of the Lemmings
|1997 || £1K ||Royal blue ||Apocalypse, Yes!
|1998 || £3K ||Grey ||Flight of Fancy
|1999 || £4K ||Black ||Insanity and In Health
|2000 || £9K ||Dark maroon ||Another Brick in the Wall
|2001 || £9K ||Tan ||A Race Oddity
|2002 || £9K ||Yellow ||The Joker in the Pack
|2003 || £9K ||Purple ||The Jurassic Jaunt
|2004 || £15K ||Dark blue ||Infinity and Beyond
|2005 || £17K ||Off white ||One Thousand Steps For Mankind
|2006 || £18K ||Red ||O'Limpiyak Dilemma
|2007 || £23K ||Light green ||Armageddon NowHere
|2008 || £15K ||Dark green ||Armageddon Again
|2009 || £29K ||Black ||Trails And Tribulations
|2010 || £18K
||Pink ||Beauty and the Beach
|2011 || £22K ||Tan ||Valley of the Bogs
|2012 || £42K
||Royal blue ||Every Hill Has A Silver Lining
|2013 || £30K ||Orange ||Grime And Punishment
|2014 || £32K ||Sky blue ||Withering Heights
|2015 || || ||Dash To Delirium
| || £305K || ||Grand total